In the 1800s, Como Landing was a commercial port surrounded by a thriving town. An 1860 census analysis notes that Como’s proximity to the Mississippi River made it a natural location for commercial transportation.
Paddle wheelers navigating the Mississippi stopped for wood for fuel and delivered mail. Inhabitants of the Tunica hills brought crops and livestock to be shipped to markets down river and purchased goods from traders that they could not make themselves, like sewing needles and salt.
Over time Como became a gathering place and hub for local commerce and a tiny village known as Brandon was formed.
Brandon remained a trade center when steamboat transportation was supplanted by rail with a railroad running just behind the main house.
The beautiful home owned by the Brandon family was likely the centerpiece of the village which in the 1800s contained a post office and cotton and sawmills.
W.L. Brandon left the home to his youngest son, Lane, who rebuilt the main house in 1890.
As the Agrarian Age ended and gave way to the Industrial Revolution and trucking replaced rail for the delivery of goods, the little village of Brandon faded from existence. Now Como is again a place of gathering, but for a different reason.